Hi, I'm Emma and I run the food blog Heartfelt Kitchen. I understand that putting nourishing food on the table for ourselves and our family is a HUGE responsibility! It is my passion and my joy to share healthy recipes and ideas which make eating healthy food easy and delicious. Check out my other recipes on my website. I'm also on facebook and instagram.
This sticky, crumbly Red Velvet & Coconut Brownie is nourishing and delicious. That's right - this brownie is packed full of goodness! Coconut and beetroot are the primary ingredients (shhh! don't tell the kids and they'll never know), bound with eggs, and sweetened with rice malt syrup (or maple syrup), this treat has lots of healthy ticks. It's low in natural sugars, high in protein, fibre, healthy fats, and vitamins and minerals. Oh, it's also gluten, nut, dairy, grain, and refined sugar free, so it's perfect for those with allergies and for the school lunchbox. Enjoy!
- 1/2C beetroot puree (see below for instructions)
- 1/2C rice malt syrup (or maple syrup) *
- 3 free range eggs
- 1/2C dessicated coconut
- 1/2C cocoa or cacao powder
- 2T coconut flour
- 1/2t apple cider vinegar
- 1/2t baking soda
*Reduce sweetener to 1/3C if desired
- To make beetroot puree, bake 1-2 beetroots (I usually make extra and store in the freezer in half cup portions) in a hot oven (200 degrees) for an hour or untilfork-tender. Baking beetroot whole results in a richer-tasting beetroot as less juices escape. Allow beetroot to cool until able to be handled. Peel skin with hands (this should come off easily). Cut into chunks and puree in a standard blender, or using a hand blender.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a brownie pan with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Add all other ingredients apart from the baking soda and mix well. Add the baking soda and mix again until combined. Now allow the mixture to sit for a minute; coconut flour is very absorbent and the mixture will thicken slightly.
- Pour into prepared brownie pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until brownie is springy at the centre.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit in the pan for 5-10 minutes before removing and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Slice into squares and store in an airtight container. Will keep for about 3 days on the bench top, and 5 days in the fridge.