Hi, I'm Emma and I run the food blog Heartfelt Kitchen. I understand that putting nourishing food on the table for ourselves and our family is a HUGE responsibility! It is my passion and my joy to share healthy recipes and ideas which make eating healthy food easy and delicious. Check out my other recipes on my website. I'm also on facebook and instagram.
Beetroot & Walnut Hummus
At my daughter's first birthday party, this was one of the most popular items on the menu! Pink and full of good ingredients = win. This recipe makes a large batch - I like to make a decent amount, and then freeze some for later use. You may halve the recipe if you don't want to do this. Perfect with carrot sticks (or other raw veggies!), smeared on bread, in sandwiches, or eaten by the spoon. (I might add, babies love it!)
- 800g roasted beetroot, peeled and chopped*
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 small fresh red chilli, end removed and sliced (I keep the seeds in, but remove them if your family is spice-averse!)
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of one lemon
- 220g/1.5C of walnuts
- 1.5C olive oil
- 2t flakey sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Crumbled feta and extra mint leaves, to serve
*You can now purchase pre-prepared beetroot in most supermarkets. If preparing at home, wrap beetroot in tinfoil and bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour in a hot oven.
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
2. Serve with an extra drizzle of olive oil and crumbled feta.
3. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Will keep for around 5 days.